Improving communication skills
I have a Masters degree in science of Accountancy and I'm also a certified public accountant. I've been home for almost 4 years to raise my kids. I used to work and I'm looking for a job now to re-enter the work force.
I'm 37 years old, and I have a problem with my communication. The problem is, I don't know how to continue the conversation with people. I always start with questions, or sometimes I just jump in the middle of conversations in order to start another topic.
Some of the terms people use I don't understand. I feel that I don't have confidence in myself. I'm losing such a good opportunities offered to me because of this lack of communication! Please, I need help.
It is possible that being at home for 4 years may have lowered your confidence level. However, you have worked before and you are well qualified, which is a big plus. Here are a few tips:
* Look back at the projects that you completed before you took the sabbatical. Appreciate yourself for each success!
* List out all the small and big successes that you have achieved in the professional front. Appreciate yourself for each success!
* The above steps will make you realize that you do not have to be anxious about work. You have done it well before and you can do it again.
* List out all the ways you have contributed to your children and other members of the family. Appreciate yourself! It is so important to appreciate the wonderful person that you are, before expecting others to appreciate and like you.
* Practice communication with loved ones. Practice listening with interest and not merely to please the person. Listen to the person completely and calmly. It is not always necessary to add your own viewpoint, it is ok to just nod and smile too. When you relax, you can be yourself and chances are you will speak with more ease.
* Remember that you are wonderful and unique person. Just be yourself.
* You will be adding a lot of value to the firm you join. Remember, they need you, just as much as you need them. Feel good about yourself before an interview.
Wishing you good luck!
Susitha P. is an Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) Practitioner. She helps individuals clear and heal negative emotions and self esteem issues. She also helps them in achieving their goals. Her specialty is helping people embrace personal power and abundance. She lives in India and works with people from different parts of the world through her online sessions. The sessions are conducted through internet based phone services like Skype and Yahoo Messenger.For more information visit: http://www.innerheaven.net